The original part of St Luke's was constructed in 1874 in a very traditional gothic style, with the chancel and vestry added in 1881. As the congregation grew further additions were made - the southern aisle was added in 1906 and a further in 1913. With the major Hawke's Bay earthquake of 1931 the church tower was severely cracked and was subsequently demolished.
Further extensions of St Luke's were first discussed in the 1980s. It was always going to be a controversial move and it wasn't until 1997 that the Village Hall was demolished and the Supper Room (which had been built subsequently) was taken to a new site to be used by the local Baptists allowing room for expansion.
In an arrangement with the diocesan Social Services Trust part of the St Luke's land was used for the construction of villas for older residents and the funds were used to construct new lounge, office, kitchen and toilet facilities for the church.
As part of this expansion, Sir Miles Warren designed the new "gothic" style tower and belfry, which was documented by Grant - replacing the tower previously removed.
Completed by Grant whilst at Warren and Mahoney Architects.